The Marriage Supper of the Lamb

THE MARRIAGE SUPPER OF THE LAMB

And he saith unto me, Write, Blessed are they which are called unto the marriage supper of the Lamb. And he saith unto me, These are the true sayings of God.” - Revelation 19:9

I have to admit that I don't enjoy weddings. I've attended a few in my lifetime. As a minister, I have conducted weddings. Weddings tend to be a big production, requiring a great deal of expense. The mother of the bride tends to be in charge of the arrangements. Chaos often arises during the final hours of preparation. When the wedding occurs, everyone comments about the beauty of the bride. The wedding tends to be all about the bride. The groom just stands there looking awkward. He is only there by legal requirement. Yes, he must stayed dressed for the pictures, too.

I remember a swanky wedding I attended at a Baptist church in a neighboring county. I was a teenager at the time. I didn't think the wedding would ever get over. People kept marching in … and there still no bride to be seen. This went on and on. Finally, in exasperation, I said aloud, “Is this event about over?” People around me giggled. I think a few of them felt the same way.

Yet there is a wedding I am looking forward to. I won't be a spectator either. I will be a participant. This wedding won't be held at a church or a country club. The location will be the most elaborate place of all --- heaven!

The marriage supper of the Lamb is coming soon. Invitations have been sent. Preparations have been made. The event has been scheduled. There will be a wedding, followed by a great feast.

Jesus must have liked weddings. His first recorded miracle was at a wedding. He was in attendance. At the dinner, the host ran out of wine. Jesus performed the miracle of turning water into wine. It was a notable event.

Marriage is an institution that God created. He created it to be enjoyed by one man and woman. The marriage covenant was to be a lifelong commitment. Yet this union between a man and woman is symbolic of the relationship that Jesus has with His church. Ephesians 5:23-32 says, “For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body. Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing. Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it; That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word, That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish. So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself. For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church: For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones. For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh. This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.”

The institution of marriage foreshadows a future marriage. The future wedding that I am writing of consists of a bride and groom. The Church is the bride and Christ is the groom. Right now, the bride is being prepared for a wedding.

A bride usually wears a white gown for her wedding. White was originally used as a color to symbolize the bride's purity. These days, white is more of a traditional color rather than the symbol of purity. The Father is making sure that the Bride of Christ will be spotless, made clean by the blood of the Lamb.

There will be a large crowd for heaven's wedding. John the Baptist referred to himself as a being a friend of the bridegroom. Old Testament saints and angels will be among those in attendance. An impressive crowd, wouldn't you say?

A supper will be held to celebrate the marriage. Can you imagine how great the food will be?

Revelation 19:6-9 says, “And I heard as it were the voice of a great multitude, and as the voice of many waters, and as the voice of mighty thunderings, saying, Alleluia: for the Lord God omnipotent reigneth. Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife hath made herself ready. And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints. And he saith unto me, Write, Blessed are they which are called unto the marriage supper of the Lamb. And he saith unto me, These are the true sayings of God.”

The marriage supper of the Lamb is imminent. It will not be a boring event. It will be a happy occasion. The groom has a home prepared for His bride. We'll abide with Him forever.

We'll live happy ever after.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Marriage Supper of the Lamb

THE MARRIAGE SUPPER OF THE LAMB “ And he saith unto me, Write, Blessed are they which are called unto the marriage supper of the Lamb. And ...