TIME OUT

Text:  "Be still, and know that I am God." - Psalm 46:10

Last year, I went on a one-week social media fast.  Not only did I avoid Facebook, Twitter and other social media that week, I avoided e-mail and even television.  I spent more time reading the Word, other books and devoting time to other projects.  It was a rewarding experience. 

I am embarking on another social media fast, beginning this weekend.  For some time, I have felt the need to experience another social media fast.  It was certainly not a coincidence that the days leading to this fast have been marked by ridiculous events in our country.  Even more distressing has been the numerous comments I've read on Facebook and Twitter.  I'll not comment on the remarks I've read, but I must confess that I am disappointed with the immaturity that some exhibit.

God said, "Be still, and know that I am God."  There are moments when we need to take a time out from the regular activities of life and simply seek God.  I feel that this is the greatest need for me at this time.  I still intend to go to work daily, teach Bible study class every Wednesday and preach on Sundays.  However, I need to get away from Facebook, Twitter and other forms of distractions.  I need God's Book instead of Facebook.  I need to hear what He has to say instead of the varying opinions of others.  What God says trumps everyone else.

Like never before, I need to spend time alone with God.  While I am not challenging anyone else to take a social media fast, I do think we need to weigh our options and make decisions based upon Biblical priorities.  I have found that there is a constant battle going on for my attention.  God is the One who deserves my attention the most.

I do covet the prayers of God's people.  When a football team takes a timeout, they are able to get refreshed and refocused.  That's what I hope will occur for me in the next week. 

Most of the time I tend to be like Martha who was constantly busy doing things.  However, it is better to be like Mary, who sat at Jesus' feet and heard His Word. 

For me, it is time to get still and hear His Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Low Living In High Places

  LOW LIVING IN HIGH PLACES “ But the thing that David had done displeased the LORD.” - 2 Samuel 11:27 As humans, we need others to keep u...