INTENTIONAL LIVING

"I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work." - John 9:4

A couple of years ago, I had some minor surgery performed.  During my recovery, I spent time in prayer and reflection.  A particular thought came to my mind:  if averages play out, I've lived over half of my life.  This kind of realization may seem morbid to some, but it can be a great eye-opening concept to others. 

Realizing that over half of my life is already gone, I came to the conclusion that I need to be intentional about how I live the rest of my life.  Regardless of your age, it will be would wise for you to live intentionally also.  We are only allowed to live one time here on earth, so we need to make the most of this opportunity.

Jesus lived an intentional life.  Jesus knew that His time was limited.  He had just a short period of time to live; yet there were things He needed to accomplish.  In John 9:4, Jesus said, "I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work."

From the life of Jesus, we can learn how to live intentionally.  Note a few things about His intentional life.

1.  HE HAD PASSION
First of all, Jesus had passion.  Notice that He said, "I MUST work the works of him that sent me," (emphasis added).  Jesus was passionate about life.  He was passionate about the time He had left.  Jesus knew how much time He had left.  We don't have that kind of insight.  However, you and I know that, like Jesus, our time is limited.  We have less time to live than ever before.  Jesus was not going to live passively.  He was not going to be sidetracked from His work.  He kept His focus on the things that mattered most.

2.  HE HAD PURPOSE
Secondly, Jesus had purpose.  Jesus said, "I must WORK THE WORKS of him that sent me," (emphasis added).  Jesus had a specific job to accomplish.  The work was not simply to fulfill His own goals, dreams and desires, but to accomplish the work, "... of him that sent me."

Sadly, most Christians emphasize the wrong things.  We prioritize the minor things to the neglect of the major things.  We are busy earning a living and paying bills, but are we living the life God intends for us to live?  Sadly, many believers get on their deathbed and look back with regret, knowing they've neglected the most important things. 

Jesus lived intentionally, living with purpose.  As I pondered this issue myself, I felt that there were certain things I need to focus on for the rest of my life.  I find myself being pulled by the world's demands.  On a regular basis, I have to revisit my life purpose and the things I know I need to be doing.  Daily life has a way of distracting us from vital things.  We need to recognize what God is leading us to do --- then stay focused and faithful to these things.

3.  HE HAD PERCEPTION
Finally, Jesus had perception.  He had the insight to know that His time was limited.  Jesus said, "... the night cometh when no man can work."  Like Jesus, there are many things we need to get done right now.  When death comes, it will be too late to witness to your children, give to those in need or help your neighbor.  Johnny Hunt once said, "We'll have all eternity to enjoy our victories, but only one lifetime in which to win them." 

We have a limited time to live.  If we intend to get anything done in the Name of Christ and for His cause, it is right now.  If there is a specific task that God has placed on your heart to do, get busy on it right now. 

Live intentionally.  That's the only way we can live, and ultimately die, without regrets.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Low Living In High Places

  LOW LIVING IN HIGH PLACES “ But the thing that David had done displeased the LORD.” - 2 Samuel 11:27 As humans, we need others to keep u...