BEING AN INTENTIONAL WITNESS

"To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some." - 1 Corinthians 9:22

Do you recall the first time you got a job?  Were you excited?  Did you tell anyone about it?  What about when you got engaged to be married?  Were you thrilled to share the news?  The fact is that we share good news with excitement, don't we? 

What about the Gospel?  Are we excited enough to share the Gospel message?  The word, "gospel," literally means, "good news."  If the Gospel is good news, why aren't more Christians sharing the news with enthusiasm?   By the way some Christians act, you'd think we are trying to peddle some product that no one wants.  We are not salesmen --- we are witnesses.  The Gospel is not a product; it is the life-changing message of Jesus Christ.  It is the message that the whole world needs to hear.

As I think about the rest of my life, one thing is clear:

I WANT TO BE AN INTENTIONAL WITNESS

I want to take as many people to heaven with me as I can.  It would be awful to live a long life as a Christian and fail to bring anyone to heaven with me. 

Let's be honest about it, there are many things that can distract us from being about our Father's business.  Our schedules are full already.  It can be difficult trying to maintain a balance between work & family.  When we add the worship-time at church, we find ourselves stretched to the limit.  Yet these things tend to divert our attention away from something profound and real.  The sobering fact is that many are lost and perishing.  In fact, the ones we love most may be among the number that is facing eternity in hell.  They need a Savior. 

Personally, I have found that I must be intentional about evangelism.  I need to keep evangelism on my mind, in my plans and in my prayers.  Here are just a few things I'm learning:

1.  BE REMINDED
I often listen to sermons as I travel.  I intentionally listen to sermons by those who are actively involved in personal evangelism.  Their passion for souls inspires me.  Their stories and experiences motivate me.  Do you want evangelistic zeal?  Hang around with those who possess that zeal.

2.  BE PREPARED
I keep Gospel tracts with me wherever I go.  I keep some in my shirt pocket, some in my wallet, and others in my vehicle.  Be prepared for opportunities. 

3.  BE PRAYERFUL
Keep a prayer list of people you know who need Jesus.  Pray for them consistently.  By the way, pray that God will give you an opportunity to share the Gospel with them yourself!

4.  BE CREATIVE
Every event in life can be an evangelistic opportunity.  I have given Gospel tracts at fast food drive-ins, the grocery store, gas stations and various businesses.  When I pay bills, I include tracts with my payment.  I think social media is great place to be evangelistic.  Speaking to someone one-on-one is a vital form of evangelism.  There are many ways to make the Gospel known ... utilize them!

5.  BE AMBITIOUS
There is nothing wrong with setting goals.  I have found that I am more evangelistic when I plan to be evangelistic.  Being intentional is a key part of evangelistic living.  I used to wait for opportunities to unfold before I would act or speak.  Once in a while they did, but I have found that when I am intentional about evangelism, the Lord uses me much more.

Others may not like my style or manner, but at least I want to be faithful in trying to reach souls.  Once a lady complained to D. L. Moody, stating that she didn't like the way he did evangelism.  When he asked how she did evangelism, she replied that she didn't.  Moody gave her the classic response, "I like my way of doing evangelism better than your way of not doing it!"

I want to be an intentional witness.  What about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Low Living In High Places

  LOW LIVING IN HIGH PLACES “ But the thing that David had done displeased the LORD.” - 2 Samuel 11:27 As humans, we need others to keep u...