BOASTING IN THE LORD

"My soul shall make her boast in the LORD: the humble shall hear thereof, and be glad." - Psalm 34:2
I must confess that I try to avoid arrogant, proud people. Such people are obvious to spot. They are usually bragging on themselves. They like the spotlight. They enjoy the attention that others give them. I don't like to be around such people. What I hate most is when I find this kind of behavior in my own heart.

King David wrote, "My soul shall make her boast in the LORD." This form of boasting is what we need today. In an age when people are "looking out for number one," it is refreshing to find someone who declares the LORD to be number one.

It seems like a paradox for a man to be humble and bold at the same time. We tend to identify boldness with pride. However, the Christian is called to be humble when it comes to himself, but bold when it comes to the Lord. That is what David was doing as he wrote Psalm 34.

We tend to take ourselves too seriously. We are easily offended by criticism. We are hurt when we are overlooked for promotion or praise. Yet when we humble ourselves, we tend to look away from ourselves and begin focusing on One who is worthy of our attention. As we get to know Him better, we find ourselves boldly trusting His Word, worshiping His glory and declaring His Gospel.

We humbly serve God while confidently trusting Him to keep His Word. Our soul boasts in Him. We give glory to Him. Others may praise a sports team for winning a championship, but we praise God, who is the only real victor.

When the humble hear that David is boasting in the Lord, they are glad. They, too, glory in the same One. Rather than having a tyrant king, the humble see that King David is just an humble servant himself, serving the eternal King.

This boasting in the Lord is what Paul meant when he wrote, "But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world." Paul was humble, yet bold.

Yes, I sometimes find pride rising up in my own heart. How deceitful the heart really is! Yet at the foot of the cross, this sin, like others, needs to die. While on my knees in repentance, I find my spirit soaring. When I look away from myself and behold the spotless Lamb of God, I get a proper perspective. He deserves praise, not me. While I am humbly at His feet, I am in the best position to boldly declare my love for Him. His Name is the only Name that should be uttered from my lips. More and more, I need to be humble, yet bold.

Boldness has nothing to do with me and everything to do with him. May others see Him rather than myself. Like John the Baptist, I need to say, "He must increase, but I must decrease." 

I have nothing to boast in. I have done nothing worthy of glory. Yet the One who reigns above is worthy of all the praise. So, like David, I say, "My soul shall make her boast in the LORD: the humble shall hear thereof, and be glad."



No comments:

Post a Comment

Low Living In High Places

  LOW LIVING IN HIGH PLACES “ But the thing that David had done displeased the LORD.” - 2 Samuel 11:27 As humans, we need others to keep u...