Rest

 “I will give you rest.” - Matthew 11:28

I must confess that I am not an early riser. I get up early every workday morning because it is necessary, not because I am already awake. I love my sleep! When I was young, I didn't understand why older people went to bed so early. Now I find myself going to bed a little after 9 every night. I need my sleep!

Rest is actually a blessing from God. Our bodies need rest. It isn't healthy for a person to only sleep three or four hours each night. While your body can tolerate sleepless hours, eventually it will demand the rest and sleep it has been deprived of.

Most people give little attention to sleep, until they experience sleepless nights. Parents of newborn children learn quickly that rest does not come automatically. Furthermore, illness can rob a person of sleep. In the years gone by, I have suffered from kidney stones, which can easily deprive me of sleep.

I don't take sleep for granted. Neither should you.

When Jesus said, “I will give you rest,” He was offering rest to people who were depleted by the oppression of sin. The devil is a harsh taskmaster. He offers much but delivers little. The devil promises an abundant life but drags his followers into the gutter of despair. Thankfully, God offers such people rest.

Life is demanding. Expectations are high. It is easy to be overwhelmed by it all. I am glad that there is a place where we can go and experience the rest we need. Rest refreshes the spirit. Rest rejuvenates the body. Rest even helps in the healing process.

When you have sleepless nights, it is good to talk with the Master. Often I have asked for the Lord for rest during sleepless nights and soon found myself getting drowsy. He does give rest to those who need it.

God rested on the seventh day of creation. He did not need to rest, but He certainly demonstrated to us that rest is a good thing. The Jews were commanded to learn from God's example and set aside the seventh day of the week as the Sabbath. They were expected to set aside this day and treat it as a holy day.

Christians are promised that there remains a rest for us (see Hebrews 4). While the Jews rested on the seventh day, Christians worship on the first day of the week, remembering the resurrection of Jesus. Our Sabbath rest is yet to come. In Revelation 14:13, John wrote, “And I heard a voice from heaven saying unto me, Write, Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord from henceforth: Yea, saith the Spirit, that they may rest from their labours; and their works do follow them.” The saints mentioned in this text experienced rest from their labors. Such rest is a glorious thing.

God created rest. He modeled it for us. We should appreciate this gift and thank the Giver of it. Furthermore, we should invite weary souls to find the rest they need in Jesus.

Thank God for rest!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Low Living In High Places

  LOW LIVING IN HIGH PLACES “ But the thing that David had done displeased the LORD.” - 2 Samuel 11:27 As humans, we need others to keep u...