Mysteries

 MYSTERIES

And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.” - 1 Timothy 3:16

When I was growing up, I loved to read mysteries. In my grade school years, it was the Hardy Boys. As I got older, I transitioned to “whodunit” mysteries from authors like Agatha Christie, Erle Stanley Gardner and Ellery Queen. Even though I primarily read non-fiction today, every one-in-a-while, I'll still read a good mystery.

The only book that I read daily is the Bible. Did you know that the Bible has many mysteries in it? In fact, Paul wrote, “Behold, I shew you a mystery...” You can read the Bible over and over again, yet never be able to resolve many of its mysteries. Some offer trite answers to Biblical mysteries. Yet who can fully understand the Trinity? Who can interpret all of the mysteries surrounding election and predestination? Who can give a suitable explanation about every prophecy of the book of Revelation? When was the last time you heard a sermon about the wheel in the middle of the wheel? Perhaps these subjects are simple to you, but they are mysteries to me.

The ways of God are mysterious to us. If we could fully understand and explain all He does, we would be divine, too. The Bible says, “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.” (Isaiah 55:8-9). In Romans 11:33-34, the Apostle Paul wrote, “O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out! For who hath known the mind of the Lord? or who hath been his counsellor?” To mere humans like ourselves, God's ways are mysterious.

Among the great mysteries is the incarnation of Christ. Somehow, we have gotten used to the story of Christmas. We've lost the awe and wonder of the Savior's birth. Songs, stories and sermons have been dedicated to the telling of the incarnation, yet they have never begun to explain the mysteries found in the Savior's birth.

The fact that God would descend from heaven and take on human flesh is a mystery to me. For the pure Son of God to enter this sin-infested world is something that still amazes me. The Bible tells us that He came because of love, “For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son...” Who can explain that kind of love? We can understand the love a mother has for her child. We understand the love a man has for his wife. But who can understand the love God has for rebellious mankind? Who can explain God loving His enemies? His love is a sacrificial love. Such love is a supernatural love. Such love is a mystery to me. But I'm glad it's true!

What about His arrival to earth? God is so mighty that our minds cannot comprehend the vast nature of His being. Yet He chose to inhabit the womb of a virgin. That is a mystery to me.

Many pagans argue against the virgin birth of Christ. How can a virgin conceive? They argue that it is impossible for a virgin to have a child. Yet the incarnation of Christ was due to a supernatural work of God. The Bible says, “And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.” Can you explain all of this to me? If you can explain this, it would be a natural and not supernatural. The incarnation was supernatural. It remains a mystery.

God came to earth. Think about that sentence again. GOD CAME TO EARTH. Doesn't that amaze you? God became man. Paul put it this way, “Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.” Jesus did not come to give us a holiday. Instead, He came on a mission of love.

God came to earth through a supernatural birth, so He could live a supernatural life, die a sacrificial death and be raised in a supernatural resurrection. All of this was done so that you and I could experience a supernatural rebirth, enjoy His supernatural life and ultimately experience a supernatural resurrection ourselves. I never cease to be amazed at these mysteries.

I will never fully understand the mysteries of the Bible. Yet the more I think about these mysteries, the more I love and worship the One who sits on the throne. One day, the mysteries of life will become crystal clear. Until then, I will gladly serve the One who works in mysterious ways.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Low Living In High Places

  LOW LIVING IN HIGH PLACES “ But the thing that David had done displeased the LORD.” - 2 Samuel 11:27 As humans, we need others to keep u...