The House Is On Fire!

 THE HOUSE IS ON FIRE!

And of some have compassion, making a difference: And others save with fear, pulling them them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.” - Jude 22, 23

When I was growing up, I wanted to be a fireman. I think this desire was impacted by watching several seasons of “Emergency!” on television. I loved to see fire trucks. Anytime our family would pass a fire house, I hoped that the garage doors would be open so I could see the fire engines. When a fire truck would pass by on the highway, either on a call or not, it got my undivided attention. One of the highlights of my elementary school years was the field trip we made to the local fire station --- and riding back to school on a pumper truck!!!

My potential career as a firefighter came to a halt when I was in the sixth grade. My parents went to visit someone from church. While they were gone, my brother and I gathered in the living room to watch, “Baa, Baa Black Sheep.” A few minutes into the show, I noticed some bright orange and red colors flickering behind the living room curtain. When I opened the curtain, I saw that the house next door was on fire. I went into panic mode. I tried to call the fire department, but didn't know the phone number (this was before 911 was available in the area). Since the house next door was extremely close our home, we decided to get out of the house … just in case. Fortunately, the local volunteer fire department was having a meeting that night and came quickly and extinguished the fire. The whole experience scared me and ruined my career plans.

A few years ago, a popular Christian entertainer was quoted as saying, “Love the sinner, hate the sin? How about: Love the sinner, hate your own sin! I don't have time to hate your sin. There are too many of you! Hating my sin is a full-time job. How about you hate your sin, I'll hate my sin and let's just love each other!” This quote quickly circulated like wild-fire, but is it accurate? If I understand the premise of this quote, Christians should mind their own business and never approach another person about their sin. Yet wasn't this the kind of response that Cain gave to the Lord when he said, “Am I my brother's keeper?”

Some things are not my business. What a man does in his home is his business. If my neighbor has a home in need of a fresh coat of paint, that is certainly his business. If he wants to have purple carpet in his living room, that is up to him. If he wants to eat meat loaf every night, that is his choice.

But what if my neighbor's house is on fire? Do I refuse to get involved because his home is none of my business? Shouldn't I call the fire department? Shouldn't I make an effort to see that everyone made it out safely? What if he is still inside, do I simply mind my own business and let him perish?

Now let's think spiritually. What if my neighbor is living in habitual, unrepentant, rebellious sin, shouldn't I be concerned? If my neighbor is lost, shouldn't I be troubled about this? Metaphorically, his house is on fire. He needs to get out. He needs to flee the flames.

Yes, I hate my sins. Ongoing sanctification is part of my Christian life. Repentance is a daily practice for me. But is ridiculous to say that I shouldn't hate the sins of others. In our society, I hate murder, rape, and all forms of violence & abuse. So if my neighbor is lost, spiritually his house is on fire and I hate it. The flames of sin are devouring everything.

Jude wrote, “And of some have compassion, making a difference: And others save with fear, pulling them them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.” Jude challenges believers to hate sin and, like a fire fighter, care enough to pull people out of the fire.

Those who know me will admit that I tend to mind my own business. But the devil has successfully duped believers into remaining silent while people perish all around us. It is time for silent saints to speak up. We can't make people repent, but we should care enough to warn them to flee from the wrath to come.

We have been too concerned about our image. We have tried too long to be popular. We have been too concerned about “running sinners off.” We don't want to be called “judgmental.” In the meantime, souls are going to hell.

Charles Spurgeon once said, “If sinners will be damned, at least let them leap to Hell over our bodies. And if they will perish, let them perish with our arms about their knees, imploring them to stay. If Hell must be filled, at least let it be filled in the teeth of our exertions, and let not one go there unwarned and unprayed for.”

Wake up believers, your neighbors, friends and loves ones are perishing. Soon it will be too late. With urgency, let's warn them while we can.

Their house is on fire!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Low Living In High Places

  LOW LIVING IN HIGH PLACES “ But the thing that David had done displeased the LORD.” - 2 Samuel 11:27 As humans, we need others to keep u...