High-Octane Living

HIGH OCTANE LIVING

But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God.” - Acts 20:24

I'm old enough to remember when most gas stations offered full service. When you pulled your car up to a gas pump, there would be a staff member there to fill your gas tank for you. Typically, he would ask two questions: Which fuel did you want (which octane) and the dollar amount you wanted to spend. Growing up, I often heard my father respond to the attendant, “Fill 'er up with high test.”

These days, younger folks don't know what “high test” refers to. “High Test,” is the highest octane fuel available. When I was growing up, fuel was rather inexpensive. Back then, many thought that high octane fuel produced the best engine response. These days, it is tough to afford even the lowest octane fuel.

When it comes to life, I fear that we often operate with low octane fuel. We want the cheapest version of Christianity available. We want to give the least amount of time and money necessary at church. Low octane living produces low-level results.

Where are the Christians who live and work at a higher level? It is rare to find someone who is wide open for Jesus, living a high octane lifestyle. I believe the Apostle Paul lived a high octane life. Speaking of himself, Paul stated, “But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God.” That is high octane living!

Notice three things about Paul's high octane life:

AN UNCHANGING POSITION

Paul wrote, “But none of these things move me...” Persecution, problems and pain would not deter him. He was resolved to stand for the Lord. These days, many professing believers are compromising on very basic matters. We should never compromise when it comes to Biblical truth. It is sad to hear of pastors being so wishy-washy about the truth. Rather than boldly standing upon the Word, too many are seeking worldly praise.

Let me be perfectly clear. As Christians, we should be loving and compassionate. We should never seek to deliberately hurt or offend people. However, we are not to compromise when it comes to the Scriptures. Love compels us to stand for the truth, live for the Lord and proclaim the Gospel, even if it offends many. We would rather offend men with the truth than offend God with our disobedience.

AN UNPOPULAR PESPECTIVE

Paul continued to write, “... neither count I my life dear unto myself...” One reason that Paul was used so greatly was that he loved the Lord more than he loved his own life. Many American Christians claim to love the Lord --- but they don't necessarily love Him more than their own lives. The Psalmist wrote that the lovingkindness of the Lord is better than life (Psalm 63:3). It is difficult for us to believe that there is something better than our lives, but there is. Jesus said, “I am … the life,” (John 14:6). Only in Him do we truly live. In fact, He came to give us abundant life (John 10:10).

Jesus said, “If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.” According to Jesus, the first step in following Him is to deny ourselves. In other words, we give up our lives to receive His. Jesus said, “For whosoever will save his life shall lose it; but whosoever shall lose his life for my sake and the gospel's, the same shall save it.” Paul epitomized this. No wonder God used him so greatly.

AN UNDENIABLE PASSION

Paul continued, “... so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God.” Paul had a strong passion to proclaim the Gospel. He wanted to finish strong, taking the Gospel to the world.

Paul was a man driven by a mission. He lived a high octane lifestyle. He was sold out to the Lord Jesus. As a result, God used Paul in such a dynamic way that his influence is still being felt today.

What about you? Are you running low on spiritual fuel? It is tempting to seek a quick-fix to remedy the problem. However, there isn't a band-aid solution that will really bring lasting results. No, you can't pull into a gas station to get filled up with spiritual high octane fuel. Instead, you must enter the prayer closet and seek God. He still fills empty hearts. There is no fuel shortage at the throne of grace. God still provides high octane fuel for those who will refuse to be satisfied with anything less. Perhaps, we need to reverently ask God, “Fill me up with high test.”

Come today and get a fresh filling … for free!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Low Living In High Places

  LOW LIVING IN HIGH PLACES “ But the thing that David had done displeased the LORD.” - 2 Samuel 11:27 As humans, we need others to keep u...