GETTING TO KNOW GOD:  LISTENING TO GOD

TEXT:  "My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me."
- John 10:27

Last week, I wrote about the importance of personal devotions.  We looked at the importance of prayer, reading the Bible, and using devotionals.  This week, we are going to look at a specific aspect of Christian living:  listening to God.

I hesitate to write about this subject because of the abuses that go on in Christianity.  So often I hear TV preachers say, "The Lord told me...."  Perhaps that doesn't bother you, but it troubles me.  The reason is simple.  Most of these individuals claim to have a clear word from God ... and at times this "word from God" is unbiblical and manipulative.  When I hear a TV minister say, "God has told me...", I know that often a plea for money follows. 

In this little message, we are going to address the subject of hearing from God.  I realize that many will disagree with what I have to say, but I must share my convictions about this subject.

Here are a few things you need to know about listening to God:

1.         GOD SPEAKS THROUGH HIS WORD
I know that many claim to hear from God through dreams and visions.  I want to emphatically state that God speaks through His Word, the Bible.  In fact, He has already spoken.  Many people seek an extra-biblical word from God when they fail to read or believe what God has already said in His Word.  Why seek an extra-biblical word from God when you are not obeying the Word He has already given? 

When you read the Bible, do you treat it like God's Word?  It is God's Word.  The Bible is more than a religious book.  It is more than a book we should take to church.  The Bible is God's inspired Word.  He has given you a message.  It is found in the pages of the Bible. 

The reason the Bible is neglected by many Christians is because most have lost sight of the fact that God speaks through His Word.  Have you read from the Bible today?  Why not?  If you knew that God was going to send you a message today, would you be looking for it?  God has given you a message today.  Open your Bible and read God's message to you.

2.         GOD NEVER CONTRADICTS HIS WORD
Sometimes people invoke the Name of God to condone their sinful actions.  However, God never contradicts His Word.  God will never tell a man to do anything that violates the Scriptures.  For instance, some claim, "God told me to divorce my wife and marry another woman."  That is adultery.  God hates divorce (Malachi 2:15-16).  They are wrongly using God to condone their sinful behavior.  In fact, they are lying.

God NEVER contradicts His Word.  When a preacher or church member claims to have a "spiritual experience" that is not condoned by Scripture, it is best to avoid such people.  Some will say, "I don't care what the Bible says, I just know how I feel..."  Friend, we don't determine truth by an experience; we judge an experience by truth.  We distinguish truth from error by the Word of God.  In fact, God's Word is truth (John 17:17).

So many look for a "new experience," an "inside word from God," or a "fresh, divine word."  They are seeking an emotional high instead of walking with God in humility.

Voddie Baucham once said, "'God told me,' is not a substitute for 'The Bible says.'"  While it is true that God spoke to people verbally in the Bible, it was a rare event.  Unlike them, we have the full canon of Scripture.  The canon of Scripture has been closed.  We have God's Word.  Why do you need an extra-Biblical word?  Adrian Rogers was right when he said, "An extra-biblical word often leads to an anti-biblical word.  Stay with the Book!"  His words have proven prophetic.  These days, "a word from God" often leads people down a path that becomes heretical. 

Some think that a new word or unexplained experience is needed to "reach people."  However, when the rich man was in hell, he asked for messengers to be sent from the dead to warn his brothers.  Instead, the rich man was told, "They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them."  God speaks through His Word --- and He never, ever contradicts His Word.  It is only the Word of God that truly changes lives.  People get saved, not because of an extra-biblical word, but because they hear the Word of God (Romans 10:17). 

I fear that many seek "a new word" from the Lord because they think that the written Word is insufficient.  I believe that if they would actually read, believe and obey the written Word, they would find it to be sufficient for all things. 

I think Justin Peters is credited for this final quote:  "If you want to hear a word from God, read your Bible.  If you want to hear a verbal word from God, read your Bible audibly."  Makes sense, doesn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Low Living In High Places

  LOW LIVING IN HIGH PLACES “ But the thing that David had done displeased the LORD.” - 2 Samuel 11:27 As humans, we need others to keep u...