GETTING TO KNOW GOD:  MAINTAINING A DEVOTIONAL LIFE

Text:  "Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you." - James 4:8

I must begin with an admission:  I don't consider myself to be the poster-boy for personal devotions.  I've tried to maintain a daily devotional time for several years, yet I still feel that I need to grow in this area.

As a young Christian, I really struggled to maintain a personal devotional time.  I was undisciplined and couldn't get it right.  I've learned a few things that have helped me in this area, but I still have a long way to go.

I feel the need to state the obvious.  If you are serious about getting closer to God, a regular devotional life is vital.  There is a challenge in our text:  "Draw night to God, and he will draw nigh to you."  You may be expecting God to make the first step in this process.  He has already made a series of steps to make fellowship possible.  He sent His Son, Jesus, to die on the cross so that fellowship could be possible.  He gloriously saved your soul, removing the barrier of sin that had kept you from Him.  Now, the next step is yours.  Our text tells us that if we draw near to Him, THEN He will draw near to us.  

There needs to be a deliberate attempt on our part to get close to God.  This requires two important things:  desire and discipline.  First of all, there must be desire.  We must want Him near.  So many talk about getting close to God, but it is obvious that few have a desire for Him.  The Bible states, "Delight thyself also in the Lord, and he shall give thee the desires of thy heart."  We must have desire.

Secondly, there must be discipline.  That is what we are going to focus on in this message.  I must admit that this message is more practical than doctrinal.  I don't apologize for this because there are times people need practical instruction.  Maintaining a devotional life requires spiritual discipline.  Spiritual discipline really includes three things:  planning, practice and persistence.

First of all, there must be planning.  If you intend to get physically fit, a plan is required.  It does not occur automatically.  The same is true for spiritual discipline.  Most of this message is about the planning aspect of personal devotions.

Secondly, there must be practice. It is not enough to plan; you must implement the plan.  I can't tell you the number of times I planned to diet ... and then never implemented the plan.  Implementation is vital to spiritual growth.

Finally, there must be persistence.  Personal devotions yield fruit when it is conducted on a regular basis.

With that in mind, let me give you a few things I've learned.

1.         READ THE BIBLE
If you want to get close to God, the Bible is a vital part of personal devotions.  When we read the Scripture, we should seek to learn from the Lord.  Also, when we read the Word, we should seek to listen to the Lord. 

Personally, I don't use a study Bible.  Study Bibles have notes and commentaries, usually at the bottom of the page.  These notes are not divinely inspired & sometimes have questionable content.  I use a simple Bible.  While I appreciate and respect many Bible commentators, I do not want to rely on them, but God Himself.  I want to hear from the Lord, not just someone's opinions, especially during my devotional time.  Also, study Bibles tend to make me a little lazy.  By looking in the notes, I tend to look for answers from others instead of seeking them from God myself.  I am not criticizing those who use study Bibles, just be aware that the most important part of the Bible is the Scriptural text itself.

Also, I use a large print Bible.  As I get older, I need the words to be easier to read.  I love the larger print! 

Additionally, I mark my Bible.  At times, I feel the need to mark words or entire verses.  Sometimes, I use a Bible marker.  At other times, I underline or circle words in a verse using an ink pen.  If you don't feel comfortable marking your Bible, that is fine too.

I plan to read from the Bible every day, without fail.  I need God's Word desperately. 

2.         PRAY
Have a time for prayer.  Talk with the Lord.  Worship Him.  Thank Him.  Offer petitions and pray for others.  It has taken me a long time to learn that prayer is not an attempt to change God, but a means for Him to change me.

3.         USE A DEVOTIONAL
I read from a devotional every day.  A devotional should never take the place of God's Word or prayer, but a good devotional can be a blessing and help in your walk with God.  This year, I am reading, "My Utmost For His Highest," by Oswald Chambers, which is considered a classic.  Another great devotional is, "Morning and Evening," by Charles Spurgeon. 

4.         KEEP A JOURNAL
If you are comfortable with keeping a journal, I suggest that you do so.  I keep just a rough diary.  A journal is different from a diary.  A diary is a record of what occurs every day.  A journal is a record of your thoughts and feelings.  Some keep a prayer journal, where they write out prayers to the Lord.  I've heard some criticize prayer journaling as being unbiblical.  However, many of the Psalms are written prayers.  Whether you journal or not is up to you.  It can be a positive tool in your spiritual development, but it can be a hindrance if you are not comfortable writing or if it becomes a legalistic ritual.

Getting to know God is a personal matter.  It requires something from you.  Attending church two or three times a week is great, but it is still not a substitute for a personal encounter with God during the private time of devotions. 

Set an appointment to meet with God every day.  Personal devotions are an important part of getting to know God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Low Living In High Places

  LOW LIVING IN HIGH PLACES “ But the thing that David had done displeased the LORD.” - 2 Samuel 11:27 As humans, we need others to keep u...