A SATISFIED SOUL

"My soul shall be satisfied as with marrow and fatness; and my mouth shall praise thee with joyful lips." - Psalm 63:5

I love to eat.  I especially enjoy a great steak.  To me, there is nothing like savoring the flavor of a juicy steak.  It makes my mouth water to even think about it.

In our text, David writes, "My soul shall be satisfied as with marrow and fatness."  Marrow and fatness refers to the tender, juicy part of meat.   What David is saying is that God satisfies his soul like tender, juicy meat satisfies his taste buds.  Think about that.  God satisfies the soul.  Complete satisfaction.  

Why don't we experience that kind of satisfaction with God?  When I was growing up, I'd come home from school, ready to eat.  However, we normally didn't eat supper until Dad got home (an hour or so later).  Mom would give us this warning:  don't eat any junk food.  Why was junk food forbidden close to suppertime?  If I ate a lot of potato chips before supper, it would ruin my appetite.  Eating junk food before a meal removes an appetite for better food.

Most believers do not have a hunger for God because they are eating too much worldly junk food.  When we have a daily intake of worldly junk food, our appetite for God and His Word suffers. 

Although potato chips are enjoyable, they don't compare to a juicy steak.  Yet if we eat enough potato chips before a steak dinner is served, we don't enjoy steak very much. 

The junk food of the world does not compare to the satisfaction found in our Lord.  Yet the junk food will keep us from enjoying Him as we should.  We need to change our spiritual diet.  We must remove worldly junk food so that the savor of our Lord may be enjoyed.

Finally, David writes, "... my mouth shall praise thee with joyful lips."  In response to the satisfaction found in the Lord, David feels the need to put on a concert for the Lord.  His praise is directed toward an audience of One.   Notice that David promises to praise the Lord with "... my mouth..." David was neither shy nor timid concerning his faith.  Praise would often flow from his lips.

David promised to praise the Lord, "... with joyful lips."  David's praise will come from a heart full of joy.  Joyful lips would offer praise to his Lord.

When I enjoy a great meal, I have a desire to thank and praise the cook.  The spiritual meal that we enjoy at the Master's table should create a desire for us to praise Him for the bountiful provision we've enjoyed.

Our Lord satisfies the hungry.  Let us accept Isaiah's invitation:  "... harken diligently unto me, and eat ye that which is good, and let your soul delight itself in fatness." (Isaiah 55:2)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Low Living In High Places

  LOW LIVING IN HIGH PLACES “ But the thing that David had done displeased the LORD.” - 2 Samuel 11:27 As humans, we need others to keep u...