MEANINGFUL MEDITATION

"When I remember thee upon my bed, and meditate on thee in the night watches." - Psalm 63:6

There are times I have problems going to sleep.  Sometimes it is due to stress.  I admit that sometimes I struggle going to sleep because of worry.  Yet there are times I lie awake for seemingly no reason at all.  Sleepless nights are most troubling when I know that I have to get up much earlier than usual the following morning.

I don't claim to have all the answers for insomnia.  Although I don't practice it as well as I'd like, my policy is to allow myself 30 minutes to go to sleep.  If I am not very sleepy after 30 minutes, I get up and read.  Usually I read from the Bible or a Christian book.

From our text, we learn that David would think about God while lying on his bed.  Apparently for him, sleepless nights were times of worship and reflection. 

First of all, David remembered God.  "... I remember thee upon my bed..." David's thoughts were not wasted on the cares of this world.  Instead, his thoughts were very noble.  He remembered God. 

Secondly, he meditated on God.  Meditation is more than a passing thought.  Meditation involves deep concentration.  David's meditation of God was a delightful time of contemplation and adoration.  What a way to go to sleep!

Notice that David meditated on God, "... in the night watches."  During the dark, lonely hours of the night, David found comfort while meditating about his Lord.

Let me confess something.  Most of the time, I get ready for church a few minutes early on Sunday mornings.  I sit in the recliner, lean back, close my eyes and think about the Lord.  In a short period of time, I find myself deep in sleep. 

This leads me to ask myself the question:  why don't I do that more often during those sleepless nights? 

Perhaps if I did, the sleepless nights would not remain sleepless.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Low Living In High Places

  LOW LIVING IN HIGH PLACES “ But the thing that David had done displeased the LORD.” - 2 Samuel 11:27 As humans, we need others to keep u...