A NEW YEAR:  MAKE RESOLUTIONS ... OR SET GOALS?

"I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus." - Philippians 3:14

As we embark on a New Year, many will make "New Year's Resolutions."  Often these resolutions are made with good intentions ... and last about two weeks.  It is an annual exercise in futility.

Should we even make resolutions?  A resolution is a promise you make to yourself and / or God.  Promises are easily made and are easily broken.  Personally, I don't make resolutions.  Promises I make to myself are useless and I am held accountable for promises I make to God.

Instead of making New Year's resolutions, I set goals for the upcoming year.  I usually start the list in October or November of the year before.  This gives me time to make changes to the list.  I must confess that I rarely accomplish 100% of my goals ... but I often achieve most of them.

I found that the Apostle Paul set goals.  In Philippians 3:14, he wrote, "I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus."  The phrase, "I press toward the mark," indicates an all-out effort to reach a goal.  Jesus had a specific goal:  "I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work."  His work was very specific, "For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost." (Luke 19:10)

At the beginning of the year, many people will make unattainable goals, then get discouraged and quit completely.  Others will not set any goals at all.  It has been said that if you shoot at nothing, you'll hit it every time.  I think it is important to set goals. 

Let me make some recommendations as you consider making goals for the New Year:

1.  GOALS SHOULD BE DOCUMENTED
Write down your goals.  This helps you clearly articulate the goals you seek to achieve.  Keep the list nearby and review it regularly.

2.  GOALS SHOULD BE REALISTIC
Setting unattainable goals will only discourage you.  Your goals should be challenging enough to require hard work and diligence to accomplish them.  For instance, it is unrealistic to think you will lose 50 pounds in just two weeks.  It is more realistic to lose 5 pounds in a year.  It may be unrealistic to write a novel in seven days, but you may be able to write a chapter in two weeks.  Being realistic with goal setting is important. 

3.  GOALS SHOULD BE MEASURABLE
Vague goals are difficult to achieve ... after all, when do you know that you've achieved them?  Instead of setting a goal to be healthier, set a more specific goal, like exercising for 20 minutes, three times per week.  Instead of setting a vague goal of being a better husband, set specific goals on how you may treat your spouse in a more honorable way.

4.  GOALS SHOULD BE COMMUNICATED
Share your goals with a trusted friend.  By sharing your goals, you will have someone to encourage and support you.  Also, the accountability will be beneficial for you.  When you know someone is expecting progress, it gives you extra incentive to keep working toward the goal.

5.  KEEP AT IT
Small steps taken regularly are better than trying to take a major step at the last moment.  When I was in school, unsuccessful students tried to "cram" for a test instead of slowly studying the subject matter over time.  It takes regular work to achieve meaningful goals. 

6.  GOALS SHOULD BE FLEXIBLE
Sometimes goals need to be adjusted.  Every year, I set a goal to read a specific list of books.  It is not uncommon to find that one of the books on my list is boring or badly written.  Once in a while, I strike a book from my reading list, especially if I find out that is a terrible book.  Also, I often add books I wish to read. 
 
7.  CELEBRATE THE GOALS YOU REACH
When you obtain a major goal, celebrate!  If you lose the specific weight you desired, treat yourself to a reward.  Let your accountability partner know, so they will celebrate with you.

Don't become a slave to your goals.  Keep motivated by regularly reviewing your goals and the progress you've made.  If you set the right goals for the right reasons, then work at them regularly, the year ahead may be the greatest year of your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Low Living In High Places

  LOW LIVING IN HIGH PLACES “ But the thing that David had done displeased the LORD.” - 2 Samuel 11:27 As humans, we need others to keep u...