THE REST OF MY LIFE

"I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work." - John 9:4

A few years ago, I took time off from work to recover from minor surgery.  The recovery time gave me an opportunity to think & pray.  One thought came to me during my contemplation.  If averages hold out, I've lived over half of my life already.  That is a sobering thought.  Some would consider such a thought to be morbid, but it actually helped me to readjust my priorities for the remaining time I have left.

Realizing that over half of my life is gone, how do I want to live the rest of my life?  Many people have a "bucket list," which consists of items they wish to accomplish before they "kick the bucket."  That is not what I did.  Instead, I came up with seven goals that I wish to see fulfilled in my remaining days.  These goals are more character oriented rather than task oriented.  Over the next seven weeks, I want to share each of these goals and perhaps challenge you in the process.  I believe that all of us need to be intentional about the rest of our lives.

Jesus knew that He had limited time before He would die.  In John 9:4, Jesus gave us insight about the rest of His life.  In that verse, Jesus said, "I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work."  Notice three things about Jesus' approach to the rest of His life.

1.  JESUS LIVED WITH PASSION
First of all, Jesus lived with passion.  Jesus said, "I must work the works..."  Notice the word, "must."  Jesus was passionate about the work He was to accomplish.  Jesus was neither lazy nor apathetic.  He knew the work He was to accomplish and refused to be distracted by other things.

I believe that God uses passionate people.  You show me a person that is sold out to the Lord & I'll show you someone that God will use mightily.  We put too much emphasis on education and not enough emphasis on surrender.  While education is a good thing, it can be a crutch that keeps a person from trusting & obeying God.  I believe our attitude should be similar to missionary David Brainerd, who wrote, "Lord, let me make a difference for You that is utterly disproportionate to who I am."  

Jesus lived with passion & so should we.  We have a limited time to live here on earth, so let's live it with enthusiasm!  Pastor Malachi O'Brien penned the following prayer:  "God give us a passion that is rare for the things closest to your heart and eternity."  That is a prayer that all of us should be praying! 

2.  JESUS LIVED WITH PURPOSE
Sadly, most people live as if their life-purpose is simply to go to work daily, watch TV in the evening & go to bed at night.  Instead of investing their lives, they are wasting their lives. 

Jesus didn't waste His life.  Instead, He came on a Divine mission.  Jesus said, "I must work the works of him that sent me."  In Mark 10:45, Jesus said, "For even the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many."  Jesus came on a mission and refused to be distracted from that mission.  His ultimate purpose was to go to the cross and die for our sins.  He gave His life so that we could live.  From a worldly point of view, the death of Jesus death was the culmination of what seemed to be a waste life.  However, when we understand His true mission, we know that Jesus fulfilled His purpose.  His death made it possible for millions of souls to be saved from hell.  Jesus is no longer dead.  He arose the third day & through His death and resurrection, eternal life is extended to those who believe.  Jesus did not waste His life & He doesn't want you to waste yours either.

I don't know about you, but I don't want to waste the rest of my life on trivial, temporal matters.  I want to invest my life in the things that bring eternal dividends.  Like Jesus, I want to live with purpose.  What about you?

3.  JESUS LIVED WITH PERSPECTIVE
Jesus was focused on doing the Father's will, "... while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work."  Jesus lived with the perspective that His time was limited to get His mission accomplished.  The same is true for you and me.  The difference is, of course, that Jesus knew precisely how much time He had left before He would die while you & I don't have that knowledge about our own death. 

Ray Comfort wisely said, "Live everyday like it is your last day.  One day, you will be right." 

Some may argue that thinking of death is gruesome.  However, for the child of God, the inevitability of death is actually a glorious reality that we welcome.  The thought of death should cause us to focus on our purpose and live the right priorities in the time we have left.  Jesus had that kind of perspective.  He focused on His purpose and stayed faithful to His Father.  Shouldn't we do the same?

I don't know how much time I have left to live, but I do know that I want to live the rest of my life for the glory of God.  Let me challenge you to be like Jesus and live with passion, purpose and perspective.  At the Judgment Seat of Christ, you'll be glad you did!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Low Living In High Places

  LOW LIVING IN HIGH PLACES “ But the thing that David had done displeased the LORD.” - 2 Samuel 11:27 As humans, we need others to keep u...