FEED YOUR MIND

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.” - Philippians 4:8

We have just entered a brand new year. Many people have made (and many have broken) New Year's Resolutions. I am not a huge fan of resolutions, but I am a proponent of setting and keeping goals. Every year, I set goals for the upcoming twelve months. I review these goals on a weekly basis. I work diligently throughout the year to achieve these goals. Overall, I have been successful in achieving many of these goals.

I don't share all of this to boast. In fact, my goals wouldn't impress most people. I don't usually share my goals publicly, but I will share this. Every year, I set a goal to read a specific number of books. I think it is important to feed my mind.

I saw a statistic that revealed that 28% of Americans did not read a single book during the past year. If you do not actively regulate what goes into your mind, society will do it for you. The views of Americans are typically set by the news media and entertainment industry. That is tragic! Television has deliberately changed our culture's view of morality. Between billboards, television and the internet, the mind of the average American is exposed to a lot of sinful images and concepts. When we fail to feed our minds with good material, we find our minds being fed with worldliness and corruption.

In 2019, we need to feed our minds with healthy food. Don't allow your mind to be influenced by the rotten food of this world. Let me recommend some books for you to read in 2019:

1. THE BIBLE
First of all, read your Bible every day. Whether you read through the entire Bible or not is up to you. I do strongly encourage you to at least read the New Testament, Psalms and Proverbs this year. Furthermore, memorize verses you find that are pertinent to your emotional and spiritual situation. Meditate on these verses and feast on the meat of God's Word.

2. A DAILY DEVOTIONAL
There are wonderful daily devotionals available for you to read from. “Morning and Evening,” by Charles Spurgeon, “My Utmost For His Highest,” by Oswald Chambers are among the many devotionals available. You can save yourself some money by going online and subscribing (without cost) to the daily devotionals that are available. Ministers like Charles Stanley and John Piper provide a devotional that will be sent automatically to your email inbox daily, if you subscribe.

3. READ GOOD CHRISTIAN BOOKS
The Christian market is overflowing with books. Sadly, many of them are superficial and some of them border on heresy. Personally, I like reading from men who are faithful to the Word. Some of the writers I like have been promoted to glory some time ago. I still like to read from A. W. Tozer, Charles Spurgeon, Vance Havner, D. L. Moody, R. A. Torrey, E. M. Bounds, Andrew Murray and others.

4. LISTEN TO CHRISTIAN AUDIO BOOKS
If you have a long commute to work, like I do, Christian audio-books are wonderful to listen to. Each month, the website, Christianaudio.com has a free audio-book available for download (MP3 format). After downloading the MP3 files to your computer, you can then either burn the MP3 files to compact discs, a MP3 CD or store them on a MP3 player. Additionally, Christianaudio.com sells Christian audio-books. If you go on a long trip, an audio-book can keep you occupied while you drive and also bless your heart.

5. LISTEN TO BIBLICAL MESSAGES
I often listen to sermons as I drive. I am very picky about the preachers I listen to. There are many popular preachers that I won't listen to because their teachings are often erroneous. However, a good sermon can be food for your mind and soul.

6. SPEND TIME WITH STRONG CHRISTIANS
A mature believer can be a source of great information, wisdom and knowledge. Talking with such a Christian can feed your mind, fill your soul and inspire your life. Hang around with mature believers that inspire you to walk closer to God.

7. LISTEN TO GOOD CHRISTIAN MUSIC
I love Gospel music. Sometimes an old hymn or Gospel song comes to mind at an appropriate time and ministers to me. Personally, I prefer songs that have a strong message. Some people gravitate towards songs with a certain beat or tempo, but I still believe that Gospel music should be Biblical in its message.

Whether you can apply all of these suggestions or not, I do challenge you to at least read your Bible daily.  If you feed your mind properly in 2019, you'll find that God will change your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Low Living In High Places

  LOW LIVING IN HIGH PLACES “ But the thing that David had done displeased the LORD.” - 2 Samuel 11:27 As humans, we need others to keep u...