GETTING OLDER

O God, thou hast taught me from my youth: and hitherto have I declared thy wondrous works. Now also when I am old and grayheaded, O God, forsake me not; until I have shewed thy strength unto this generation, and thy power to every one that is to come.” - Psalm 71:17-18

The longer I live, the older I get. That's not a profound statement. Yet all of us are getting older. There are some people who become wiser as they get older. Others remain immature regards of their age.

I must confess that I have changed through the years. For those who look at me in a superficial way, they would only say that I've gained weight as I have gotten older. Certainly that is true. The weight listed on my driver's license was from my 16th birthday, when I first got a license. It has never been updated. When it comes to gaining weight, I tell people that I am broadening my horizons.

As I have gotten older, I have more physical problems. The ankle I shattered in 2003 (and the subsequent metal implant) causes me grief. Furthermore, I struggle with psoriasis and allergies, as well as occasional kidney stones. It is not always easy getting older.

I believe that there are positive changes in my life as time passes. My view of certain things has changed. My outlook on life is different. Like most people, I have regrets from my past. I have taken these regrets to the Lord, where I have found forgiveness and grace.

I believe my values have changed. As I get older, I find that there are three areas that are of increasing importance in my life.

1. THE IMPORTANCE OF PRIORITIES
First of all, my priorities have changed. In my past, there were things that I thought were so important ... but now they have lost their luster. I can't believe I wasted time and effort on such unimportant things. There were issues I used to do battle over that now seem so insignificant.

But there are things that are more important than ever. As I get older, I value the things that will last beyond my earthly life. I value eternal matters so much more. As I consider the fact that I am getting closer to the finish line, I need to value the things that will matter most when I leave this world. I need to stress the importance of the things that will matter most when I stand before God.

2. THE IMPORTANCE OF PEOPLE
Secondly, I value people more than ever. I need to improve in this area much more. The Lord has placed certain people around me. Some I will learn from. Others I will minister to. A few I may mentor. Relationships are important. We tend to think that possessions or power make a man rich. Actually, the man with strong, healthy relationships is a rich man. These days, relationships are rather shallow and superficial. Happy is the man that has two or three good friends who will remain close to him the rest of his life.

Life is much like a garden. We sow and then we reap. It is important for me to sow liberally in the lives of those around me. I've done a poor job at this in my past. As I get older, I need to deliberately invest in those close to me.

I want to live the rest of my life making eternal investments that will yield eternal dividends. I believe I make eternal investments when I make positive contributions to the eternal souls of those close to me. Like the psalmist I pray, "O God, thou hast taught me from my youth: and hitherto have I declared thy wondrous works. Now also when I am old and grayheaded, O God, forsake me not; until I have shewed thy strength unto this generation, and thy power to every one that is to come.”

3. THE IMPORTANCE OF PRAYER
Finally, as I get older, I realize the importance of prayer. Like never before, I need the Lord. My dependence on Him grows stronger every day. As I get older, I need to pray more, not less. Time spent in prayer is never wasted time. As I get older, I need to get closer to God. I need His Word more. I need His fellowship more. I need to worship more. I need to spend more time with His people. I need His guidance, wisdom and strength. I need His blessings and grace. I can't make it without Him. I don't like the thought of facing a day without Him.

As I get older, I want God to be pleased and glorified. All that truly matters is what God will say when I stand before Him. As I get older, I want the imminent judgment to come motivate me to live intentionally for the things that matter most.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Low Living In High Places

  LOW LIVING IN HIGH PLACES “ But the thing that David had done displeased the LORD.” - 2 Samuel 11:27 As humans, we need others to keep u...