Taking Inventory

Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.” - Psalm 139:23-24

Most companies have a regular time set aside to take inventory of their stock. Sometimes this can be a massive job. Knowing the exact quantity of each item is vital to having a good accounting of company assets. Additionally, a visual validation of quantities verifies the numbers in the inventory software, making it more accurate to provide data to customers and the proper personnel.

While taking inventory is important for a business, it is more vital for us as individuals. On a regular basis, there needs to be a careful inventory taken in our lives. A careful inventory may reveal abnormal situations and uncover unhealthy matters. Often we pretend that all is well with our lives when destructive attitudes lurk in the hidden chamber of our hearts.

Jeremiah 17:9 says, “The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked.” This indictment against the human heart forces us to seek outside help in taking spiritual inventory. David knew this. That is why David prayed, “Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.” David invited the Lord to take spiritual inventory of his life.

Certainly no one knows your heart like the Lord. He is not deceived by outward performances or a polished veneer. He knows you better than you know yourself.

Be aware of this fact. Asking God to take inventory of your life may bring about results that you aren't comfortable with. Most people aren't prepared for the honest diagnosis they receive under such scrutiny. The Lord will be accurate and thorough with His findings. Like it or not, He has already taken inventory of your life. He knows you like a book. The big question is this: are you ready to receive and act on His report?

For those who respond positively to the Lord's findings, they experience dramatic, but glorious change. Those who refuse to hear or heed the Lord's findings will remain in a spiritual rut, deceiving themselves, believing that change is for other folks, not them.

I don't think many of us are serious or thorough with our repentance. As a result, a lot of sins get stock-pilled into a closed closet so others can't see them. But God sees them. He is challenging us to open up these closets, seriously repent of these sins and have our lives cleansed by Him.

It is time to quit pretending. It is time to yield to the sanctifying work of the Holy Spirit. Put away all idols, pride and hypocrisy. Let us stay in God's presence until we are completely clean before Him.

Many Christians pray for revival. Usually they intend for revival to begin with someone else. It doesn't work that way. It tends to begin with a Christian or two who will repent and seek God in prayer. Why can't that be me? Why can't that be you?


Let me challenge you to get alone with God. Bring your Bible, a notebook and a pencil. Get on your knees and pray this dangerous prayer: “Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.” 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Low Living In High Places

  LOW LIVING IN HIGH PLACES “ But the thing that David had done displeased the LORD.” - 2 Samuel 11:27 As humans, we need others to keep u...