Intentional Living

 INTENTIONAL LIVING

I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.” - John 9:4

Most people take life as it comes. They live reactionary lives. There is little planning involved. If they were honest, they'd admit that there are important things they need to do “someday.” The problem is that “someday” never comes.

When it comes to the most important things in life, we must be intentional. We must be intentional about cultivating healthy relationships. We must be intentional about our walk with God. We can't be haphazard about the critical issues of life. Rather than living reactionary lives, we need to live intentionally.

I have found that there are certain things that I must be intentional about or they simply don't get done. If I am not intentional about exercise, I will live a sedentary lifestyle. If I am not intentional about giving, I will be stingy. If I am not intentional about reading my Bible, it will easily go unread.

Many people “fly by the seat of their pants,” when it comes to life. They don't invest in life insurance, make out a last will and testament or plan for their burial. Worst of all, they have not planned for the afterlife. They are not prepared to die and they're certainly not prepared for Judgment Day.

We must be intentional about the vital things of life. Jesus is our model for all things. He lived an intentional lifestyle. In John 9:4, He said, “I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.” Note three things about Jesus and His future:

HE LIVED WITH PASSION

First of all, Jesus lived with passion. He said, “I MUST work the works …” (emphasis added). Jesus didn't say, “I should do the works,” or “I ought to do the works,” instead, He said, “I must do the works.” He had a work to do and was very passionate about getting it done.

I get inspired when I encounter people of passion. I guess one reason I get so inspired is because there are so few who have such passion. Of all people, shouldn't Christians be excited to be alive and serving God? Shouldn't we have a passion for God and the things of God?

Live intentionally. Like Jesus, live with passion.

HE LIVED WITH PURPOSE

Jesus said, “I must work the works of him that sent me.” Jesus had a mission to fulfill. He came on a divine mission. Jesus came to do the will of His Father. He lived with purpose.

Generally speaking, all Christians share the same purpose. Our purpose is to glorify God by knowing Him and making Him known. The specific accomplishment of this may vary from person to person. For one man, it may be accomplished through preaching. For another man, it may be expressed in the business community. For a housewife, this purpose may be fulfilled by teaching her children about Jesus and sharing the Gospel with her neighbors and friends. Another person may be uniquely called and gifted to write or sing. Regardless, every Christian has a God-ordained work to accomplish.

Don't belittle the harvest field God has given you. Perhaps you'll never conduct an evangelistic campaign in a football stadium, but you may introduce a co-worker to Jesus. Maybe you'll never be a professional singer. Yet God may use your talents at your local church and bless many. You may never pastor a mega-church, yet you may lead a Bible study during the lunch break at work. When God gives you a job to do, it is a great work. Be faithful in that work.

Live intentionally. Live with purpose.

HE LIVED WITH PERSPECTIVE

Finally, Jesus lived with perspective. He said, “I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.” Jesus knew that His time was limited. So do we. We don't have time to waste. Moments are passing. Eternity is at hand. If we intend to get anything done for the Lord, we need to be doing it now.

Unlike Jesus, we don't know how much time we have left on earth. We just know that our time is running out. The wise person lives with this perspective. Jesus did. We must be intentional about the things we need to get accomplished before our death. Be intentional about expressing your love to your family. Be intentional about attending church. Be intentional about prayer. Be intentional about sharing the Gospel. Be intentional about making a positive difference.

Time is running out. Live intentionally in the time you have left.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Low Living In High Places

  LOW LIVING IN HIGH PLACES “ But the thing that David had done displeased the LORD.” - 2 Samuel 11:27 As humans, we need others to keep u...