What I'd Want Said At My Funeral

WHAT I'D WANT SAID AT MY FUNERAL

But he that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.” - 2 Corinthians 10:17

Sadly, most people are not prepared for their funeral. Some do not have life insurance to cover funeral expenses. A burial spot has not be chosen. A choice about which minister(s) should speak has not been specified. This leaves surviving family members with the challenge of dealing with these matters.

I've made these arrangements. I think my family will carry out my wishes, but of course, they can make any alterations that they feel is necessary.

When it comes to my funeral, I really don't want a long, unnecessary eulogy. If anything positive can be said of my life, God really deserves the credit. All the negative things are covered by the blood, not to be remembered by the Lord, so why bring them up at the funeral?

If I could give a word to the minister(s) conducting my funeral, there are two specific areas I would want emphasized in the message.

PREACH THE GLORY OF THE LORD

First of all, I want God to be glorified at my funeral. Forget about me. If anyone is to be praised, it is my Lord. Why waste time trying to brag on me? Every good thing done in my life or through my life is due to the Lord, not me.

Some want to refer to a funeral as a “celebration of life.” Jesus is the One who gave me life. My physical life was due to His blessing. The greatest blessing of my natural life has been the spiritual life He brought within. Salvation by grace is a work that God, alone, deserves the credit for. Jesus said, “I am come that you may have life, and life more abundantly.” If we are going to celebrate life, we must celebrate Jesus, because He said, “I am the way, the truth and the life.”

If a minister stands over my casket, I would love for him to preach about the glory of God. Preach about my mighty Lord. Brag on Jesus. Praise the Name of the Lord.

The Apostle Paul wrote, “According to my earnest expectation and my hope, that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but that with all boldness, as always, so now also Christ shall be magnified in my body, whether it be by life, or by death.” Paul wanted Christ to be magnified in his death. May this be the case for every believer! Shouldn't a funeral be an expression of faith, an opportunity for worship and a time of praise?

I do not deserve praise. I know myself better than any person on earth. I know my unworthiness to be called a Christian. Why should I receive accolades from men? Why should my funeral be all about me? The Lord deserves all the praise, honor and glory. May He receive this at my funeral.

PREACH THE GOSPEL TO THE LOST

Secondly, at my funeral, I want the Gospel to be preached. There may be unbelieving family members, friends and neighbors who will attend. They need to hear the Gospel. Some argue that a funeral is a bad place to evangelize. I strongly disagree. It is the best place.

A true Christian never gets tired of hearing the Gospel. An unbeliever can never hear it enough. At my funeral, I want the Gospel preached, and not the "modern gospel” that is watered-down. I want a preacher to stand and boldly preach the Gospel in the power of the Holy Spirit.

What greater message can be brought at a funeral, or anywhere else, than the message of the Gospel? The hungry need the Living Bread. The thirsty need the Living Water. The perishing need to hear about the soul-saving blood of Christ. So at my funeral, I want the Gospel to be clearly presented. It may be that some soul will meet the Savior at my funeral. How great that would be!

Because of the subject of this message, you may think I've received some bad report from the doctor. I have not. I don't know when my departure is scheduled. It may be today. It may be years away. That is in the Lord's hands. While I'm living, I want God to be glorified and I want to spread the Gospel. When I die, I still want God to be glorified and have the Gospel proclaimed.

Apart from the Lord, I am nothing. I want my remaining years to be spent putting the spotlight on Jesus. When I depart, I want the spotlight to remain on Him. I am going to heaven only because of Him.

To God be all the glory!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Low Living In High Places

  LOW LIVING IN HIGH PLACES “ But the thing that David had done displeased the LORD.” - 2 Samuel 11:27 As humans, we need others to keep u...