“Jesus saith unto them, Come and dine.” - John 21:12
It is difficult for a serious fisherman to admit that he has failed to catch fish, especially after fishing all night. That was the case for the disciples in John chapter 21. Many of them were professional fishermen. Yet they fished all night without catching a single fish.
When the disciples went out fishing that evening, Jesus was not with them for the excursion. The Bible says that they caught nothing that night. Yet they continued to fish. Jesus stood on the shore but wasn't recognized by His disciples. He asked them if they had caught anything. I wouldn't be surprised if one or more of them grumbled at the question. There's nothing worse for a fisherman than to be asked what he's caught … when he's caught nothing!
When the disciples told Jesus that they caught nothing, He told them to cast their nets on the right side of the boat. When they did, they had a huge catch of fish. At this point, John realized that Jesus was the One who had been speaking to them from the shore and shared this realization with the others on board.
The disciples brought their full nets to the shore. There, they found Jesus already had fish cooking for them. At this point, Jesus gave us our text, “Come and dine.”
What kind of cook was Jesus? I'm not sure, but it must have been a great meal.
There are several things we don't know. The disciples had failed to catch any fish before Jesus spoke to them from the shore. Yet Jesus had prepared fish for their meal. Where did the fish come from? The Bible doesn't say.
Also, we don't know how long Jesus had been on the shore. The meal was ready when the disciples came to land. The fish had been prepared, the fire was already burning and the food was nearly ready to eat.
Of course, Jesus did not need ordinary means to prepare a meal, but it seems that He used ordinary means on this occasion. We typically think little about such ordinary means. Cooking is a joy for some and a burdensome task for others. Yet Jesus did the cooking Himself on this occasion.
Personally, I like to eat. I enjoy a good meal. My physique testifies of my ongoing experience of feasting on good food. I have to admit that eating is one of the few things I am actually good at. While I enjoy eating at restaurants, there is no substitute for great home cooking. Yes, I love feasting on a good, juicy steak. But I also enjoy beans, fried potatoes and homemade cornbread. I admit that fish is not high on my list of favorite foods, but I do enjoy fried flounder on occasion.
The story of the disciple's fishing expedition teaches us a few things. First, Jesus knows and cares about our work. Many of the disciples were professional fishermen. Yet Jesus knew more about fishing than they did. When you face challenges on the job, do you ever pray about them? You may be surprised to know that the Lord knows more about your work than you do. Call on Him when you need help. It could be that your empty nets could be filled in just a moment.
Next, Jesus cared about their tangible needs. On more than one occasion, Jesus fed thousands. He cared about their hunger. He cares about your daily needs. In fact, He taught us to pray, “Give us this day our daily bread.” Like Jesus, we should care about the hungry around us and work with others to see that their need is met.
Of course, there is a spiritual hunger that only Jesus can satisfy. To the hungry soul, He gives the invitation, “Come and dine.”
“Come” is a word often used to invite hungry souls to feast at the Master's table. Jesus is the One who extends this invitation. He invites people to come to Him for soul-satisfying food.
There are many good things in this world. I am a strong proponent of the local church. I believe that preachers should feed their flock at each service. Yet the food that is dispensed from the pulpit actually comes from God's Word. The Lord is the One who feeds hungry souls.
The invitation still goes forth right now. “Come and dine.” Come to Jesus right now. Come empty handed. Bring your longing hunger and unquenched thirst.
The disciples were fed by Jesus that day. Yes, they had their nets full of fish, but what they enjoyed was not produced by their effort. Jesus provided it by grace.
Whether your nets are full or empty, bring your hungry soul to Jesus today.
Come and dine!

No comments:
Post a Comment