THE SIN OF SOCIAL MEDIA ABUSE

Social media sources, like Facebook and Twitter, give us the freedom to express ourselves and enjoy friendship with others.  Social media gives Christians the ability to share the Gospel and enjoy fellowship with other believers. 

I am not ashamed to post quotes, pictures, and videos that reflect my Christian faith.  As a matter of fact, I believe that a Christian should use all of his social media outlets to proclaim the Gospel.  At the same time, old-fashioned common sense should be used.

I am very alarmed at the abuse of social media that is prevalent today.  Many professing "Christians" are using social media to personally attack others. It is time for Christians to think twice before posting ideas on Facebook or Twitter.

Let me quickly share some thoughts with my Christian brethren:

1.  NEVER USE SOCIAL MEDIA FOR PERSONAL ATTACKS
This is unbelievably wrong.  Despite the personal attacks I see on Facebook and Twitter, it is rare that I ever see an apology afterwards, which is more disturbing.  Do not air out your dirty laundry before everyone.  Unbelievers see what you write.  It is better to delete your accounts than to use them to viciously attack others.  Even if you do not name the person you are angry with, it is wrong to deal with your anger in this manner.  Jesus taught us what to do when someone offends us (Matthew 18).  When you use social media to personally attack others (whether you name them or not), you are sinning!  It is time to repent.

2.  NEVER USE SOCIAL MEDIA TO PROMOTE UNGODLINESS
If you profess to be a Christian, you are wrong to use profanity, offensive humor or attach suggestive photographs.  Some may "like" or "retweet" you, but this is a disgrace to the Christian faith.  

3.  NEVER USE SOCIAL MEDIA TO PROMOTE HOSTILITY
I have strong beliefs, but I show respect to those I disagree with.  For the most part, I rarely post anything political on my social media accounts.  I feel that the Gospel is far more important than politics.  I am not saying it is wrong to post your political feelings.  However, do not get hostile if someone disagrees with you.  For instance, I was once part of a Facebook group for my old high school.  One night, the group administrator posted a remark about corporal punishment in school.  This created a debate about whether corporal punishment should be permitted in school.  The remarks posted became heated.  The group administrator threatened to delete any remark he didn't agree with.  Eventually, the entire group was removed.  If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.  While ungodliness and personal attacks are wrong, freedom of expression should be permissible without hostility.  In fact, here's something to think about:  you are not always right.  There have been times I've learned a lot from those I disagree with. 

4.  SOCIAL MEDIA SHOULD NOT BE A PLACE FOR GOSSIP
Gossip is wrong.  Quite honestly, I am not interested in the sordid details about the personal lives of others.  Don't add to the pain that others are enduring by spreading their problems all over the internet.  There are some things that are better left unsaid. 

I know that some may disagree with what I've written.  That's fine.  We can agree to disagree. 

If we claim to be Christians, shouldn't our Facebook and Twitter accounts reflect this?  Look back over your Twitter and Facebook pages.  Are there posts, pictures, or links that are disgraceful to Christ and His Church?  If so, remove them and repent.

Believe it or not, when you stand before God, you WILL be accountable for your social media accounts!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Low Living In High Places

  LOW LIVING IN HIGH PLACES “ But the thing that David had done displeased the LORD.” - 2 Samuel 11:27 As humans, we need others to keep u...