GLOWING IN THE DARK

"They looked unto him, and were lightened: and their faces were not ashamed." - Psalm 34:5

As I get older, I seem to be more sentimental about my youth. I have fond memories of my childhood. For instance, I recall visiting my grandparents on Belcher Mountain and playing outside until it got dark. I recall the "lightning bugs" flying around. Some refer to these bugs as "fireflies," but I will always call them lightning bugs.

I recall capturing a lightning bug and watch it light up my hand ... just before I let it go. I never did harm these creatures, but I was mystified about them. I thought there was nothing like a summer evening with lightning bugs moving around.

To be honest, I haven't seen many lightning bugs during the past few summers. Maybe I go to bed too early. Lightning bugs were a visual treat for a kid like me. To see them emitting light during the darkness of night was impressive.

We are living in a world of darkness. The darkness of sin has blanketed our land. Yet Jesus has designated Christians to emit light in this dark world.

To be rather honest, many professing Christians seem to just blend in with the darkness. Sometimes it is hard to spot a Christian. But that is not what Jesus is calling us to do. We are called to let our light shine. God has called us to be different from the unbelieving world. Yet how does this take place?

When Moses spent time with God in private, he would come back to the Israelite camp with his face all aglow. I still think that time spent alone with God can pull back the curtains of sin from the heart so that the light can shine brighter to the world around us.

In Psalm 34:5, David wrote about people who, "looked unto him, and were lightened: and their faces were not ashamed. It makes a difference when a person looks to Jesus! Here are a couple of things that happen when a man looks to the Lord.

1. LOOKING TO THE LORD WILL BRING SALVATION
The Bible says, "Look unto me and be ye saved." This was the text that a young boy heard one snowy morning. In an instant, he looked to Christ and was changed. His name was Charles Haddon Spurgeon. A man can look to the church building and leave disappointed. A man may gaze at a denomination and get disheartened. A man may look at spiritual activity and get depressed. But if that man will look, by faith, to Jesus, he will be saved.

2. LOOKING TO THE LORD WILL BRING STRENGTH
The book of Hebrews says, "Looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith." After giving us a grand tour of the hall of fame of Faith, the writer of the book of Hebrews challenges believers to move forward in their faith. Realizing that the Christian life is more of a marathon than a sprint, the writer provides us help for the grueling race ahead. A runner does not find strength by looking back at the starting line. Neither does he find sustaining strength by looking at the onlookers along the way. Instead, his motivation is found by looking ahead to the finish line. Our finish line will take us into the presence of the Lord. Knowing He is just ahead should motivate us to press on to the end.

David wrote that those who look to the Lord "were lightened." They had a glow on their face. They were not ashamed because they loved the One who put that glow in place.

There are so many demands on our schedule. I believe this is a ploy of the enemy, because we cannot cultivate intimacy with God while we're continually busy. It takes personal discipline to carve out time to meet with God. Staying busy in ministry is not even a substitute for this. We need to deliberately get alone and look to the Lord. Over time, we may find that old glow returning.

In this world of sin, we need believers who glow in the dark!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Low Living In High Places

  LOW LIVING IN HIGH PLACES “ But the thing that David had done displeased the LORD.” - 2 Samuel 11:27 As humans, we need others to keep u...