The Mirror Principle


 “Thou art the man.” - 2 Samuel 12:7

I've been writing about great men of the Bible who were used to make a positive difference in this world for the glory of God. When we consider such men, we are tempted to be awe-struck by their accomplishments. It is easy to feel very inferior to such individuals. I know I do. However, we need to remember that, with the exception of Jesus, all the men we studied were flawed men just like us. They sinned. They needed the same Savior we do. Yet the achievements we read about weren't really theirs. God performed these deeds through them.

While it is has been great to think about these men of faith, we need to examine our own lives. Can God use us to make a positive difference in this world? If so, how can this occur?

I want us to consider this in the coming weeks. We'll begin by focusing on some basic principles of impact living. We start today by looking at the most fundamental aspect of making a difference. It comes down to this simple principle: if I want to see a difference be made, it needs to begin in me first. I call it the mirror principle. If you want to see a positive change take place, it needs to begin with the person you see in the mirror daily. Change needs to occur within me before it can happen through me.

Change is often a difficult subject to embrace. The theory is simple to understand but it is challenging to implement. It is easy to see the need for others to change, but we are often blind to the fact that we need to change ourselves.

It may sound selfish to focus on yourself before you do others. Yet God begins that way. He often works on us before He works through us. It begins with salvation, but then progresses through practical sanctification. In reality, a Christian is a work in progress. We are being changed through the ongoing work of God in our lives.

Sometimes it is painful to face criticism. Constructive criticism is an underrated blessing. Such critique can come from a family member, minister or boss. There are times the Spirit shows us our sins and reveals hidden secrets and deceit that tie us down. We need to be made aware of such hindrances.

When you look in the mirror and see a dirty face, it awakens you to the need for water and soap. Ridding yourself of the dirt in private is better than ignorantly going into the public sector with a filthy appearance.

In a similar fashion, God often shows us the dirt and grime that pollutes our lives. It is a wake-up call that should lead us to repentance so cleansing may occur.

King David's life was an unholy mess when the prophet Nathan confronted him. David was aware of his sinful conduct. But there was something about the confrontation that rattled him. When David heard the words, “Thou art the man,” it began a time of personal repentance that saved him from ultimate ruin.

It is wrong to expect others to change when you refuse to change yourself. It is hypocritical to demand others to repent when you won't even confess your own faults. If I want to see a positive change in my world, it must begin with positive change in my own life. What others need to see is my own life in transition. When they see me become a better man, perhaps it will lay the groundwork for their change.

I am not naïve. I am not as smart, wise or strong as my pride would have me think. I need God every moment. If any good is accomplished in me, He must do it. Of course, I need to trust and obey Him, but real, lasting change is a work He must do. He deserves the credit for it, too.

It is easy for me to criticize others, but it is more beneficial if I held myself responsible for my own sins. It is wrong for me to expect others to do what I am unwilling to do myself.

With this in mind, let me be candid. I want to be a better man than I was a year ago. I want to be a better Christian than ever before. Instead of expecting others to change, I want to focus on the area that obviously needs change the most.

It's the man in the mirror.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Low Living In High Places

  LOW LIVING IN HIGH PLACES “ But the thing that David had done displeased the LORD.” - 2 Samuel 11:27 As humans, we need others to keep u...